RIDER's Guide 50-Miler
50 Miles | 2 September 2023
In this guide, you will find all you need to know for the ride of your life.
Let the Journey begin…
- Remember your SASeeding number board. If you don’t have one, you can buy a SAS board online or at registration for R60 CASH.
- Please have the QR code you would have received via sms OR your SAS board handy when registering.
Please take note of our emergency number. Save it to your phone: Faces Emergency Assist 066 247 2123
RIDER DROP OFF ZONE
- Drivers will drop off 50-Miler riders and their bikes at WP3 and collect them again from Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate after the race.
- At this stage we do not offer shuttle or vehicle transfer services for the 50-Miler event.
- Registration at Wolwekraal Farm from: 09:00 am.
- Start: 10:20 am.
- There will be ONLY ONE start batch.
Please arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of your race.
- WP3 is a busy place. It serves as the official spectator point, handover point for the 100-Miler relay riders, as well as the start of the 50-Miler race.
- NB! Please access the venue from the R406 turnoff on the N2, and NOT from the Boontieskraal Rd. From the R406 direction Greyton, you will turn left onto the Middelplaas Rd, then immediately left onto the farm road that leads to WP3.
- Park your vehicles in the designated parking area. Please note that the parking area may be wet and muddy due to rain. If you feel your vehicle won’t be able to manage, rather park on the side of the district road leading to the venue, making sure not to obstruct any potential farm traffic.
- Follow the Google Maps Link to WP3 at Wolwekraal Farm.
- A staff member will scan your SASeeding board to confirm your timing chip is working and registered to the correct person.
- From the scanning area, riders may proceed into the event area and await their start.
NB: Please note that the route is weather dependant. We have a choice of 3 routes available to us: an A, B or C route all depending on what the weather throws at us this week. For that reason the final GPX route files will only be made available on Wedenesday or Thursday at the latest when we are able to assess which route to send you on.
- The all-new 50-Miler distance jumps in and joins the 100-Miler riders at WP3 at Wolwekraal Farm, halfway into their race.
- This route has 3 well-stocked water points before reaching the Finish at Benguela Cove.
- A GPS device is compulsory as the route is marked only at key turns or intersections.
- There will be no road closure and riders are urged to obey all traffic rules at all times.
- There will be bike marshalls at all main intersections to assist riders to cross the roads safely. However, it remains every rider’s responsibility to remain vigilant for road traffic and vehicles.
Cut-off Times and Locations
- The cut-off at WP 1 is @ 14:30
Every water point will serve water, Coke, bananas, PVM Octane and PVM gels & bars. On top of that, delicious and wholesome food will be served to keep you fuelled and hydrated.
- Ride 20 km and climb 200 m to WP2.
- Official cut-off time @ 14:30.
- Ride 19km and climb a whopping 480 m to reach WP3.
- A Specialized Tech Zone will be available.
- WP3 will be at Hemelrand, Hemel en Aarde Vallei.
- From here it is only 26 km to the finish with 360 m of climbing.
- Roll into the exclusive Benguela Cove Lagoon and Wine Estate like the hero you are!
Medals + T-shirts
The 50-Mile riders do not receive a medal, but a pair of stunning 50-Miler SOX at the Finish.
Race shirts are only for the 100-Miler participants.
Special achievement medals are also only applicable to the 100-Miler riders.
As you cross the finish line you will receive an sms with your result.
Please show the sms you received to the crew member at the Medal Gazebo who will hand over your medal in accordance with the time you have ridden.
- King Price Race to the Sea is a CSA sanctioned event and, as such, CSA race rules will apply.
- The race is mainly on gravel but also on public tar roads. Please obey all traffic rules when riding on public roads at all times.
- We encourage riders to display good rider etiquette and sportsmanship at all times and to ride in such a manner that they do not compromise the safety of other riders.
- Please take the time to read through our rules and regulations here.
A Smoove chain lube station will be available at the water points.
TECHNICAL AND MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
- A sweep vehicle will follow the last rider to the finish.
- Various bike marshalls and medical services will be patrolling the route assisting riders to reach the finish safely.
- There will be a tech zone operated by Specialized at water point 3 at Wolwekraal Farm
Emergency Number Contacts:
1. Iain 082 742 7969 (Safety Officer)
2. Graydon: 060 8585 222 (Head of Medics)
3. Faces Emergency Assist: 066 247 2123
- A GPS device with the route file loaded and running is compulsory, since the route is only marked with the most basic of route markers.
- Tools for basic bike repairs.
- A rider’s time will stop once he/she passes the timing mat on the finish line.
- At the finish line, collect your finisher socks.
- You are welcome to make use of the facilities at Benguela Cove to freshen up and enjoy a well-earned post-race meal & drink.
- Bags that was dropped at registration can be collected again at the King Price Gazebo.
- Riders can look forward to relaxing and enjoying a well-deserved post-race beer in the Devil’s Peak beer garden at the Finish. Cheers!
- Benguela Cove has an awesome kids’ playground area called Adventure park. Please note that a fee will apply when using these facilities.
- There will be an official prize-giving ceremony for all the relevant categories at 14h00 and 16h00 depending on when the first three riders in a category have all crossed the finish line.
- Food and drinks from various food vendors will be available for purchase at the Finish.
- Prize-giving will be held at 14h00 and 16h00.
- Your category will be called to the podium if the first three riders in that category have crossed the finish line by the set times.
Follow King Price Race to the Sea on Instagram stories for race updates as the action unfolds.
- Every rider will receive an sms after the event with his/her race result.
- If you have a result query, please make use of the link contained in the sms to log your query.
You can access all results here.
Teams + Supporters
- This is a full-service event so riders participating in the race will not need any back- up.
- Relay Teams: Rider 2 will drop Rider 1 at the Start Venue and then drive their team vehicle to the handover point at WP3 where he/she will await his/her team-mate.
- Navigate to WP3 by using this location: -34.1832840, 19.3763775
- No support outside of the designated checkpoint area will be allowed and any transgression in this regard will lead to disqualification.
Shuttle Service and Bike Transfers:
A morning and afternoon shuttle will be available through Fabian’s Bicycle Transfer. Please follow the link below for info and to book your shuttle.
Please note that booking in advance is essential.
Every rider receives a Specialized retail voucher to the value of R300 as well as a complimentary race photo package to the value of R340 delivered straight to your inbox after your race.
Enjoy your journey to the Sea…
Remember, this isn’t just about completing a race; it’s about embarking on a memorable and joyful gravel escapade. So gear up, grin big, and let the fun unfold as you conquer these100 miles with style!