100 Miles | 3 September 2022
In this guide, you will find all you need to know to have the ride of your life.
Let the Journey begin…
The first-ever SA Gravel Bike Championships over 100 miles (162 km) is about to kick off. We are excited about the battle between our gravel bike Elites that is about to ensue. But, more importantly, we are excited to share with you and show you the most scenic gravel race in the country – in our opinion 😉 Be sure to take in every beautiful vista from the Franschhoek Mountains, to the bright yellow canola fields of the Overberg region, to the stunning views of the Palmiet Mountains across the broad waters of the Botrivier lagoon at Benguela Cove.
- Remember your SASeeding number board if you have one, otherwise, you can buy a SAS board online or at registration for R60.
- Please have the QR code you would have received via sms OR your SAS board handy when registering.
- Fabian’s Bicycle Transport will be located in the main parking inside the Huguenot Memorial.
Franschoek pass will be closed from 06:30 to 09:00 am. Please consider this in your travel arrangements.
RIDER DROP OFF ZONE
- Parking at the Huguenot Memorial Monument is limited and is reserved for those riders who need to leave their vehicles at the start and who will return to Franschhoek after the race by shuttle.
- We encourage riders to make use of the Rider Drop-Off Zone where possible.
- Drivers will drop off riders and their bikes at the Rider Drop-Off Zone from where riders will make their way to Registration.
- Drivers and other supporters can collect their riders again from the Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate after the race.
- We appreciate your cooperation to clear the streets from traffic as soon as possible to ensure a safe race start for our riders.
Vehicle Transfer Drop-off Zone
- Riders who have booked the vehicle transfer service may drop their vehicles off at the Vehicle Transfer Drop-off Zone.
- Please remember to hand in your keys at the vehicle transfer gazebo in the parking area.
- Your vehicle will be transferred to the Finish where you can collect the keys again.
- A staff member will scan your SASeeding board to confirm your timing chip is working and registered to the correct person.
- From the scanning area, riders may proceed into the event area and await their start.
- Anyone is welcome to make use of The Wahoo Warm-up Zone to get their legs warmed up and ready for Franschhoek Pass 😉
- Vida e caffe will be serving coffee
- Toilet facilities will be available.
- Riders will receive their batch and start time via sms and/or Whatsapp and email.
- All SA Gravel Championship podium contenders will receive a category sticker at the batch loading gate. Please stick it on your seat post to enable media and/or fellow riders to identify your racing category.
- The SA Gravel Championship racing categories will start first, whereafter the open batches will follow.
|Sub Vets (30 – 39)||07:05|
|Vets (40 – 49)||07:10|
|Master Men (50 – 59)||07:15|
|Sub Vets (30-39)||07:20|
|Grand Master (60-69)||07:20|
|Grand Master Men (60-69)||07:25|
- Riders may drop their bags at the Bag Drop Area after Registration.
- Rider bags will go straight to the finish for collection.
- Bags can be collected again at the King Price Gazebo at the finish.
- With 100 miles of gravel, asphalt and single track with an elevation punch of 2500 m, this route poses a true test of strength, endurance and character.
- Start your journey to Hermanus with the spectacular Franschhoek pass. The 7 km climb will quickly have you warmed up.
- The Ciovita K.O.M will be at the top of Franschhoek pass. The first male and female over the line will collect R3500 each.
- The route will then pass the Theewaterskloof dam, Botriver, Caledon, through the Hemel en Aarde Vallei to finish at the exclusive Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate at Hermanus.
- The halfway mark will be at Water Point 3 at Wolwekraal farm just before Caledon, where relay riders will pass their proverbial baton.
- Spectators are welcome at WP3 to cheer on their riders. Follow the pin drop to be taken to WP3 at Wolwekraal Farm.
- A GPS device is compulsory as the route is marked only at key turns or intersections.
- There will be no road closure and riders are urged to obey all traffic rules at all times. There will be bike marshalls at all main intersections who will assist riders to cross the roads safely. It, however, remains every rider’s responsibility to keep a lookout for traffic and vehicles.
Cut-off Times and Locations
- There will be two locations where cut-offs will be enforced.
- The cut-off at WP3 is @ 13h00
- The cut-off at WP 4 is @ 14:30
- WP3 is the official spectator point where supporters can cheer on their riders.
- This spectator point also serves as the official handover point for the relay riders.
- NB! Please access the venue from the R406 turnoff on the N2, and NOT from the Boontieskraal Rd. From the R406 direction Greyton, you will turn left onto the Middelplaas Rd, then immediately left onto the farm road that leads to WP3.
- Park your vehicle in the designated parking area and then settle in to await your teammate. Please note that the parking area may be wet and muddy due to rain. If you feel your vehicle won’t be able to manage, rather park on the side of the district road leading to the venue, making sure not to obstruct any potential farm traffic.
- Follow the pin drop to WP3 at Wolwekraal Farm.
Every water point will have the standard fare of water, Coke, bananas, PVM Octane and PVM gels & bars. On top of that, something delicious will be served to keep it interesting 😉
- You will climb 600 m to reach WP 1.
- On the menu: Coffee & Mosbolletjies.
- Toilet facilities are available.
- You will ride 20 km and climb 150 m before your next water point (WP2).
- WP2 will be at Goedvertrou Wines, just before Botriver.
- On the menu: Bovril sandwiches, Marmite sandwiches, salty potatoes, bananas, blueberries.
- You will then ride 29 km and climb 400 m before reaching WP3.
- WP3 will be at Wolwekraal Farm in Caledon and riders can expect to be treated to a feast of delicious snacks as well as some proper food.
- WP3 is the official spectator point.
- It is the halfway mark and the Relay Team handover point.
Important: This is the ONLY Official Feed/Tech zone for SA Gravel Championships podium contenders. Please stay inside the dedicated area.
- A Specialized Tech Zone will be available.
- There will be toilet facilities.
- On the menu: Chicken soup, Mielie bread, salty potatoes, Cannelloni, Cous-cous salad, pancakes, naartjie, grapes.
- The official cut-off time at this waterpoint is 13:00. Riders need to leave WP3 before 13h00 to be able to finish the race in time.
- Ride 19 km and climb 310m to WP4.
- On the menu: Bovril sandwiches, Marmite sandwiches, peanut butter cookies, salty potatoes, strawberries.
- Ride 20 km and climb 200 m to WP5.
- Official cut-off time @ 14:30
- Ride 19km and climb a whopping 480 m to reach WP 6.
- On the menu: Curry mince vetkoek, jam & cheese vetkoek, salty potatoes, fruit.
- WP6 will be at Hemelrand, Hemel en Aarde Vallei.
- On the menu: Hot dogs!
- At WP6 riders can feast on another proper supper before taking on the last few kilometres leading to the finish.
- From here it is only 26 km to the finish with 360 m of climbing.
- Roll into the exclusive Benguela Cove Lagoon and Wine Estate like the hero you are!
Relay Team Logistics
WILL YOU BE RACING AGAINST THE CLOCK?
- The Relay Team of Two has Rider 1 starting in Franschhoek.
- Rider 2 will drop off his teammate at the start and then follow the pin drop to at Wolwekraal Farm which will serve as the relay point.
- NB! Please access the venue from the R406 turnoff on the N2, not from the Boontieskraal Rd. From the R406 direction Greyton, you will turn left onto the Middelplaas Rd, then immediately left onto the farm road that leads to WP3.
- Park your vehicle in the designated parking area and then settle in to await your teammate. Please note that the parking area may be wet and muddy as it has been raining heavily. If you feel your vehicle won’t be able to manage, rather park on the side of the district road leading to the venue, making sure not to obstruct any potential farm traffic.
- Rider 2 will start riding when Rider 1 arrives.
- Teams will receive their medal and T-shirt at the finish.
- Rider 1 will drive the team vehicle to the finish at Benguela Cove where he/she will await Rider 2.
When navigating to WP3 you can make use of this pin location:
- Our e-bike riders may drop off a spare battery at Registration at the Start.
- The batteries will be taken through to WP3 (halfway mark) where riders can collect them again.
- Please make sure your spare battery can be easily identified.
- Batteries left at WP3 can be collected again at 18:00 at the Medals Gazebo at the Finish.
Medals + T-shirts
WILL YOU BE RACING AGAINST THE CLOCK?
For the first time since the inception of the King Price Race to the Sea, we have introduced beautifully designed special performance medals as an added incentive to ride your best time ever.
GOLD | SUB 6:00hrs
SILVER | SUB 7:00hrs
BRONZE | SUB 8:00hrs
FINISHER MEDALS | 8:00hrs +
Expected Riding Times:
|Medal||AVG Speed km/h||WP 1 @30km||WP 2 @50km||WP 3 @77km||WP 4 @97km||WP 5 @117km||WP6 @136km||Finish @162km|
As you cross the finish line you will receive an sms with your result.
Please show the sms you received to the crew member at the Medal Gazebo who will hand over your medal in accordance with the time you have ridden.
Every rider will receive a T-shirt and medal at the Finish.
- King Price Race to the Sea is a CSA sanctioned event and, as such, CSA race rules will apply.
- The race is mainly on gravel but also on public tar roads. Please obey all traffic rules when riding on public roads at all times.
- We encourage riders to display good rider etiquette and sportsmanship at all times and to ride in such a manner that they do not compromise the safety of other riders.
- Please take the time to read through our rules and regulations here.
A Smoove chain lube station will be available at the water points.
TECHNICAL AND MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
- A sweep vehicle will follow the last rider to the finish.
- Various bike marshalls and medical services will be patrolling the route assisting riders to reach the finish safely.
- There will be a tech zone operated by Specialized at water point 3 at Wolwekraal Farm.
- Emergency Number Contacts:
1. ROB Nel: 0849073981 (Safety Officer)
2. Cindie van Rooyen: 076 125 9992 (Head of Medics)
Elite Tech/Feed Zone
- There will be an official Tech/Feed zone at WP3 Wolwekraal Farm. This will be the only Tech Zone in the race. Outside assistance is available in the Tech Zone only. No other outside assistance is allowed at other water points or on the route. If you receive assistance at any point other than the official Tech Zone, you will be disqualified.
- A GPS device with the route file loaded and running is compulsory, since the route is only marked with the most basic of route markers.
- Tools for basic bike repairs.
- A rider’s time will stop once he/she passes the timing mat on the finish line.
- At the finish line, collect your post-race drink, finisher’s medal and Race to the Sea finisher’s T-shirt.
- Relay Team riders will both collect their medals and T-shirts at the finish.
- You are welcome to make use of the facilities at Benguela Cove to freshen up and enjoy a well-earned post-race meal & drink.
- Bags that were dropped at registration can be collected again at the King Price Gazebo.
- Riders can look forward to relaxing and enjoying a well-deserved post-race beer in the Devil’s Peak beer garden at the Finish. Cheers!
- Benguela Cove has an awesome kids’ playground area called Adventure park. Please note that a fee will apply to use these facilities.
- Muc-Off bike wash service is available at R120 per bike.
- There will be an official prize-giving ceremony for all the relevant categories at 14h00 and at 16h00 depending on when the first three riders in a category have all crossed the finish line.
- This year, with all Covid restrictions and regulations completely lifted, we welcome spectators back to the Finish Venue and Spectator Point.
- Food and drinks from various food vendors will be available for purchase at the Finish.
- Prize-giving will be held at 14h00 and again at 16h00.
- Your category will be called to the podium if the first three riders in that category have crossed the finish line by the set times.
Follow King Price Race to the Sea on Instagram stories for race updates as the action unfolds.
- Every rider will receive an sms after the event with his/her race result. Please go to the medal gazebo to collect your medal based on the time you have ridden.
- If you have a result query, please make use of the link contained in the sms to log your query.
You can access all results here.
Teams + Supporters
- This is a full-service event so riders participating in the race will not need any back- up.
- Relay Teams: Rider 2 will drop Rider 1 at the Start Venue and then drive their team vehicle to the handover point at WP3 where he/she will await his/her team-mate.
- Navigate to WP3 by using this location: -34.1832840, 19.3763775
- No support outside of the designated checkpoint area will be allowed and any transgression in this regard will lead to disqualification.
Shuttle Service and Bike Transfers:
A morning and afternoon shuttle will be available through Fabian’s Bicycle Transfer. Please follow the link below for info and to book your shuttle.
Please note that booking in advance is essential.
Every rider receives a Specialized retail voucher to the value of R300 as well as a complimentary race photo package to the value of R340 delivered straight to your inbox.
Get your Moundt SASeeding board mount at registration for R399.
Moundt is great for fixing your SASeeding board to your bicycle neatly and without the use of cable ties. Your SAS board can be removed and remounted quickly and easily between races. Moundt is also available online on the Advendurance Apparel Store. *Please note that buying this product is optional and not compulsory.
We would like to wish every rider all the best for their Race to the Sea.
Make it memorable!