164 km | 3 September 2022
Have a great ride!
- Remember your SASeeding number board if you have one, otherwise, you can buy a SAS board online or at registration for R60.
- Please have the QR code you would have received via sms OR your SAS board handy when registering.
- Riders will receive a sticker identifying them as Team participants.
- Registration will also double as a Covid-screening station. Be prepared to have your temperature recorded and a few screening questions answered.
- Please wear your buff/mask on the venue at all times. You may remove it once you start riding.
RIDER DROP OFF ZONE
- Parking at the Huguenot Memorial Monument is limited and is reserved for those riders who need to leave their vehicles at the start and who will return to Franschhoek after the race by shuttle.
- We encourage riders to make use of the Rider Drop Off Zone where possible.
- Drivers will drop riders and their bikes at the Rider Drop Off Zone from where riders will make their way to Registration.
- Drivers and other supporters can collect their riders from the Finish at Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate.
- We appreciate your cooperation to clear the streets from traffic as soon as possible to ensure a safe race start for our riders.
- To avoid congregation and be in line with Covid protocol and regulations, riders will not be batched together, except for the elite/competitive riders.
- Everyone will be given 10-minute time slots between 7:00 and 8:00, and may start at any time during that time slot.
- Your time will automatically be picked up when you start your ride and stop at the finish.
- Riders will receive a start time via sms and/or Whatsapp and on email.
- We appeal to every rider on the start line to practise proper social distancing by keeping at least a bicycle length between them and fellow riders.
- Every rider on the start line needs to wear a mask. You may remove it once you start riding.
Riders may drop their bags at the Bag Drop Area at Registration. Rider bags will go straight to the finish for collection. Bags can be collected again at the King Price Gazebo at the finish.
- With 164 km of gravel, asphalt and single track with an elevation punch of 2500 m, this route poses a true test of strength, endurance and character.
- Start your journey to Hermanus with the spectacular Franschhoek pass. The 7 km climb will quickly have you warmed up, and the King of the Mountain point will be on top of the Franschhoek pass.
- The route will then pass the Theewaterskloof dam, Botriver, Caledon, through the Hemel en Aarde Valley to finish at the exclusive Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate at Hermanus.
- Corrugation does become a factor in the second half of the race and riders might need to bear that in mind when choosing between a gravel bike or mountain bike.
- The halfway mark will be at Water Point 3 at Wolwekraal farm just before Caledon, where relay riders will pass their proverbial baton.
- Although this Water Point was advertised as the official Spectator Point, we regret that no spectators will be allowed at this year’s event due to Covid regulations.
- A GPS is compulsory as the route is marked only at key turns or intersections.
- There will be no road closure and riders are urged to obey all traffic rules at all times.
- There will be bike marshalls at all main intersections who will assist riders to cross the roads safely. It, however, remains every rider’s responsibility to keep a lookout for traffic and vehicles.
Medals + T-shirts
WILL YOU BE RACING AGAINST THE CLOCK?
Expected Riding Times:
|MEDAL||AVG SPEED||WP 1 (52 KM)||WP 2 (78 KM)||WP3 (106KM)||WP 4 (129KM)||WP5 (145KM)||FINISH AT SUN CITY (RIDING TIMES)|
|GOLD||32 km/h||01:37||02:26||03:18||04:01||04:31||4:52 hrs|
|SILVER||26.5 km/h||01:57||02:56||04:00||04:52||05:28||5:53 hrs|
|BRONZE||22,5 km/h||02:18||03:28||04:42||05:45||06:26||6:56 hrs|
|BLACK||15 km/h||03:28||05:12||07:04||08:36||09:40||10:25 hrs|
- King Price Race to the Sea is a CSA sanctioned event and, as such, CSA race rules will apply.
- The race is mainly on gravel but also on public tar roads. Please obey all traffic rules when riding on public roads at all times.
- We encourage riders to display good rider etiquette and sportsmanship at all times and to ride in such a manner that they do not compromise the safety of other riders.
- Please take the time to read through our rules and regulations here.
A Smoove chain lube station will be available at the water points.
TECHNICAL AND MEDICAL ASSISTANCE
Emergency Number Contacts:
1. Darren Lill: 079 873 6029 (Route Director)
2. Cindi van Rooyen: 076 125 9992 (Head of Medics)
3. Glyn: 072 170 7547 (Safety Officer)
- A GPS device with the route file loaded and running is compulsory, since the route is only marked with the most basic of route markers.
- Tools for basic bike repairs.
- Benguela Cove looks forward to welcoming you at the finish line! They would love to have you and your family spend the day with them. If you would like to visit either the tasting room or the restaurant, kindly make a reservation with them directly.
- Contact: email@example.com | 087 357 0637
- A rider’s time will stop once he/she rolls past the timing mat on the finish line.
- Riders will need to put their masks back on when they reach the finish venue.
- At the finish line, you may collect your post-race drink, finisher’s medal and Race to the Sea finisher’s cap.
- Unfortunately, due to Covid regulations, there will be no hospitality areas on the finish venue itself and riders are encouraged to clear the venue as soon as possible.
- Riders are welcome to make use of the facilities at Benguela Cove to freshen up and to enjoy a well-earned post-race meal.
- Unfortunately, no bike wash or showers will be available at the finish venue.
- There will be no prize-giving ceremony and winners will be announced via social media and newsletters soon after the race.
- We regret, no spectators can be allowed at the venue and we urge family and supporters to await their riders at Benguela Cove.
Every rider will receive an sms after the event with his/her race result.
If you have a result query, please make use of the link contained in the sms to log your query.
You can access all results here.
Teams + Supporters
- The Relay Team of Two has Rider 1 starting at Franschhoek.
Rider 2 will drop off his teammate and then follow the pin drop to WP3 at Wolwekraal Farm which will serve as the relay point.
- NB! Please access the venue from the R406 turnoff on the N2, not from the Boontieskraal Rd. From the R406 direction Greyton, you will turn left onto the Middelplaas Rd, then immediately left onto the farm road that leads to WP3.
- Park your vehicle in the designated parking area and then settle in to await your teammate.
- Please note that the parking area may be wet and muddy as it has been raining heavily. If you feel your vehicle won’t be able to manage, rather park on the side of the district road leading to the venue, making sure not to obstruct any potential farm traffic.
- Rider 2 will start riding when Rider 1 arrives.
- Rider 1 will receive his/her medal and cap at WP3 when he/she finishes his/her ride.
- Rider 1 will drive the team vehicle to the finish at Benguela Cove where he/she will await Rider 2.
- Navigate to WP3 by using this location: -34.1832840, 19.3763775
- No support outside of the designated checkpoint area will be allowed and any transgression in this regard will lead to disqualification
- Our e-bike riders may drop off a spare battery at the Registration Tent at the Start.
- The batteries will be taken through to WP3 (halfway mark) where riders can collect them again.
- Please make sure your spare battery can be easily identified.
A bike transfer will be available for more information click the button below.
(info is gecopy van RttSun, daar is niks op RttSea soos die nie)
MORNING SHUTTLE BEFORE THE RACE FROM SUN CITY TO DIE OEWER:
- All bikes are to be dropped off at Fabian’s Bicycle Transport Truck on Friday 6 May between 14H00 – 19H00.
- Fabian’s Bicycle Transport Truck will be parked in the parking area at the Sun City SkyTrain close to the Entrance/Exit of the resort. (A pin Location will be sent out).
- NO BIKES ARE TO BE DROPPED OFF ON THE MORNING OF 8 MAY.
- Bikes will be taken to Die Oewer in Fabian’s truck and will be ready and waiting for you at the start venue behind the start line.
- All bikes are transported fully assembled and will not be stripped.
- The shuttle bus will leave Sun City at 04H00 sharp from Sun City to the start line.
AFTERNOON SHUTTLE AFTER THE RACE FROM SUN CITY BACK TO DIE OEWER:
- There will be a bus leaving at 14H00 from Sun City to Die Oewer and another at 18H00 sharp.
- Bikes will not be transported back to Die Oewer, but will be dropped off at the specified and previously arranged bike stores on the Monday after
- The Bicycle transport trucks only leave Sun City once all
bicycles have been loaded and to avoid having to wait for hours at Die Oewer for your bike to arrive, this arrangement has been made.
- If you stay in an outlying area that we do not cover (such as Nelspruit, Bloemfontein etc) a special arrangement can be made with Fabian directly so that your bicycle can be dropped off at Die Oewer for you to travel home with.
Virtual goody Bag
Every rider receives a Specialized retail voucher to the value of R300 as well as a complimentary race photo package to the value of R340 delivered straight to your inbox! Simple and easy.
No need to queue and no bag to awkwardly carry around on event day.
We would like to wish every rider all the best for their Race to the Sea. For some, it will be a fast one and for others a little slower, but in whichever way you reach Benguela Cove Lagoon Wine Estate, remember that it is the journey that counts – not the destination.
Make it memorable!